Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Who Cut in on You?

Our God has different avenues to speak to us. Many years ago I was walking down a lonely dark street and I experienced a whoosh from head to toe.I heard words so clear, so precise, so life changing that I can only refer to that time as a Road to Damascus moment. I gave up a life of drugs, promiscuity, immorality, endless parties, and was born again.

I was passionate about my discovery that God was indeed real but in the years to come I fell far away, and I never saw God as the loving father that he is. He was still the angry finger pointing God that was taught to me in my youth.

Many years later I found myself back in the church I joined in the 80's but had not set foot inside the building in many years. That was almost six years ago. I connected with virtually no one and kept people at arm's length who tried to just be friendly. I did not belong and yet I kept returning.

There has been no Road to Damascus but ever so gently a loving Father began to call me home. He understood that I was not ready yet to let go of the things that I was drawn too and yet also haunted by. He was the consummate gentleman.

The first significant episode I can recall occurred as I was sitting alone in the pew minutes before the service began. I picked up the Bible held in the rack in front of me and opened it without thought. My eyes fell upon the scripture from Galatians 5:7  You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth?

I did not have an answer to his question but I certainly knew he was talking to me and if he was talking to me he had not given up on my returning home to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment